CanJam SoCal 2026
Hello everyone! Here is my CanJam SoCal 2026 report, but before we get into it, I want to add a short preamble. Even attending both days this year, I wasn't able to get to everything on my list. Here are some notable missing items in case you were looking for one thing in particular:
● AFUL MiracleOne (didn't find it if it was there)
● Tangzu XuanWu Gate II (the booth only had one side of the IEMs, the other was lost in transit 😬)
● Kinera Mimisbrunnr (didn't find it if it was there)
● Prisma Lux/Lumen (time constraints)
● Softears Karma (time constraints)
● Volk Audio Stella (time constraints)
● Hercules Audio Moses Legend (went to demo it on day 2 but Ben said a friend just snatched it for a private demo and hadn't returned it yet 😂)
● Brise Audio Ibuki (time constraints)
● Astell&Kern PD5 (time constraints)
● Quloos MUB5 (time constraints but also not even sure it was at the show?)
And with that out of the way, let's move on to the main event. In my attempt to be extra organized this year, I broke everything down into categories to make it easier to peruse. Also, for transparency's sake, the vast majority of my impressions were made using the Questyle Sigma.
🔵 2026: Year of the Horse Single DD:
● 7th Acoustics x Queen of Audio Ryusei ($120) - This is not a collaboration that I would have ever foreseen, but it makes a lot of sense when you think about it. QoA is a more budget-friendly sister brand of Kinera and mostly known for their great shell designs and fair pricing model. 7th Acoustics, of course, is the boutique manufacturer responsible for the legendary all-BA Supernova that still gets a lot of love 4+ years after its initial release. Joining their tuning expertise with QoA's manufacturing capabilities and design prowess means the Kyusei is poised to reach a wider market. Like all the others in this section, the Ryusei uses just a single DD. The shell is beautiful and quite comfortable. The stock cable is surprisingly thick with fabric weaving up to the Y-split, more akin to things I saw on many of the kilobuck IEMs throughout the show. The tuning is a little V-shaped with a focus on the upper end of the spectrum. The bass is more sub-bass focused and less emphasized than I'd like it to be, but it has good rumble and extension. Upper mids and vocals are pretty forward, more so for female artists, a little thinner in the note weight and slightly artificial sounding. The treble is my biggest issue. The lower portion is pushed forward in a way that comes across imbalanced, and the texture is a little coarse and irritable. There is a bit of splashiness on cymbals as well, but the air and extension are decent. Ultimately, this is not something I could see myself enjoying, but fans of a V-shaped response with an emphasis on treble clarity and detail should take heed.
● Ziigaat Thunder ($150) - Regrettably, I forgot to snap a quick pic before handing these off to everyone's ffavorite Amigo, so instead of a close-up, enjoy this shot of Omar in his natural state. This single DD set is actually a Z-Reviews collab, and I hadn't even heard of it until I visited the Linsoul booth. Admittedly, I am not a huge fan of Zeos' typical tuning preference or his review style, but I actually liked these quite a bit. My initial impression is that I feel like the Thunder is what the Estrella was trying to be. To my ear, they have a very similar V-shaped sound signature, but the Thunder is much more tolerable in the treble. It'll be interesting to see how the community receives it, but it's definitely one to watch.
● DITA Project M2 ($329) - Simply put, I was not a fan of the original Project M. Actually, I noped out on that one quicker than just about any other IEM I've heard before. My issue, like many others, lies with its all-too-bright and fatiguing treble presentation. But when I saw that DITA was working on a Project M2, I thought it would at least be worth a cursory look. Unlike the hybrid configuration of the original, the M2 utilizes just a single 8.3mm carbide titanium diaphragm dynamic driver. This new model has a similar resin shell and overall design theme to the PM, but it looks a little more refined and premium to me. The really important question, though, is how does it sound? All I can say is that it's more tolerable than the original, but only marginally so. The bass is a highlight—punchy, impactful, quick, with nice weight and rumble. Unfortunately, the treble is still way too bright for me and my tastes. Not necessarily sibilant, but pretty irritable and fatiguing at higher volumes. I was actually able to endure a couple of songs before I noped out on this model. At least Dita is trending in the right direction with the bass. Who knows, if the trend continues, maybe by the time we get to M10, it'll be more my speed.
● Softears Edge ($499) - I'm always intrigued by what Softears comes up with, and the Edge initially caught my attention due to its simple single DD driver configuration and unique shell design. But when I heard that it had a bass-forward tuning, my interest grew considerably. It was very high on my demo list in the weeks leading up to CanJam, but I recently got the opportunity to buy a used pair and just had to take a chance on it. So for transparency's sake, I didn't actually demo these at CanJam, but I'll go ahead and add some brief impressions here all the same. This one utilizes Softears' Lifestyle Listen (LS) series advanced dynamic driver. While I've not owned the Edge for long, and it hasn't gotten the ear time and attention it deserves (yet), let me just say it has quickly risen up the ranks of my list of best single DD IEMs. Forget what you think you've come to expect from the $500 tier–the Edge delivers a high-quality, rumbly, and full sounding bass-driven tuning with clear, yet not overly emphasized mids, and a smooth and well-tailored treble response. But what makes it unique for me is the separation and imaging. For a single DD, the Edge resolves much better than it has any right to. Before I get too long-winded, though, I'll stop here and keep my initial impression short because I do plan on doing a full-scale review in the near future. I'll leave it at this: the Edge is one mid-fi set that every bass enthusiast should take the opportunity to hear.
● Noble Audio Iris ($699) - I've been active in this hobby for about 3 years, but until this CanJam, I'd never actually tried any product from Noble. Sacrilegious? Maybe, but nothing about their releases has ever really appealed to me. Well, I'm happy to say that I finally tested a Noble IEM, and even though it's not love at first listen, the Iris definitely has some appeal. This latest mid-fi release from Noble utilizes just a single 10.2mm dynamic driver with a 3-layer PU + PEEK diaphragm with coating. The shell design is really neat, and the modular stock cable has a nice tight weave and soft and supple texture. The nozzles are probably the smallest width I saw all weekend, so fit shouldn't be an issue for most. I'd describe the tuning as a fun and upbeat, slightly V-shaped target. The bass is more sub-bass focused, and the rumble, reverberation, and extension are quite nice. I wouldn't mind more midbass presence, but no bass bleed is always a plus. The upper midrange is forward and exciting and perhaps gets just a touch shouty at high volume levels. The lower doesn't feel too left out and actually makes a decent balance. My issues with it mostly lie in the low/mid treble where I feel like the tuning is just a bit too focused on sounding crisp and detailed at the expense of smoothness and cohesiveness. I'm sure others won't hear it that way, but I think dialing back the treble a touch would make the Iris appeal to a larger audience. It does have decent technicalities including the separation, detail retrieval, dynamics, and soundstage, but the note weight is a bit thin. I still think it makes a pretty decent all-rounder as long as you aren't allergic to energetic and dynamic treble.
● Meze Astru ($899) - Sitting comfortably at or near the top of my demo list this year was the Astru. I love the Alba, but I really wanted to see what Meze could do with another single DD at a higher price tier. The Astru uses a single DD featuring 80 ultra-thin gold layers + titanium coating over a PEEK membrane. This one is still very much a Meze in shell shape and overall design and doesn't look to break away from the aesthetics of their other mainstay IEMs: the Alba and Advar. As for the sound, the Astru is poised for long-term listening where the music just becomes a part of life instead of something stealing all your attention. It has a fatigue-free U-shaped tuning with elevated bass that's on the softer side, a midrange that's warm and pleasant, and a rolled-off treble that definitely tickles my treble-sensitive fancy. What I will say is that the Astru's soft dynamics, warm tonality, and smooth-as-silk layering won't be everyone's thing. I did take the opportunity to sign up for an Astru review tour put on by Meze over on Head-fi, so if I get selected, be on the lookout for a much longer-winded and more in-depth review of this latest from Meze.
● Forte Ears Violetta ($1299) - Forte Ears' debut IEM, the Macbeth, garnered significant buzz and attention at CanJam SoCal 2024. Their subsequent release, the Mephisto, didn't achieve the same level of acclaim but has cultivated a loyal cult following. With their third release, FE aims to venture into a more affordable price point with the Violetta, though whether a $1300 IEM can be considered "affordable" is a topic for another discussion. The Violetta incorporates Forte Ears' 10mm custom-built full-range dynamic driver, named Cadenza, which utilizes a multilayered titanium diaphragm. The shells are crafted from silver birchwood combined with an intricately designed compressed alloy faceplate. They are remarkably lightweight and possess a distinctive shape with a large shell size and one of the shortest nozzles I've encountered. I required my Azla Mythril tips to achieve a proper seal. Bass is slightly recessed from my usual preference but is certainly present. It's more sub-bass oriented with a quick attack and decay and a more subtle impact. Mids are forward but not overemphasized, which often occurs with bass-light sets. There's a slight warmth and a decently natural timbre. Vocals are well-placed in the soundstage, not too close to the head. It features a vocal-centric tuning. Treble is well-balanced with the mids and rolls off smoothly but not prematurely. It offers excellent texture and clarity without any hint of sibilance or harshness. Regarding technicalities, the standout features for me are the soundstage, layering, and timbre, but the detail retrieval likely won't compete effectively against superior hybrid sets in this price range. So, is the Violetta worth your attention? I believe the answer largely depends on individual tastes and the genre of music. If you, like me, desire a more vocal-forward, semi-specialist set in your collection, the Violetta will fulfill that role quite nicely. In fact, it reminds me of a more mature and evolved version of one of my favorite sets, the Softears Volume. However, if you seek an exciting set with ample bass and well-extended, energetic treble, this won't be it.
● TXN Diamond ($1990) - TXN is not a company that I'm familiar with, but I do know that this Vietnam-based boutique brand has a penchant for single DDs, at least more recently. The Diamond is their current flagship, and it features what the company claims is "the world's most advanced dynamic driver, meticulously crafted from pure diamond through high-temperature crystal deposition." The shell is made from a single block of aerospace-grade titanium to boot. Not as heavy in hand as I expected but definitely not lightweight. All the design budget must have gone into the cable because the Y-split has more character than the shells. I've said it before, I'll say it again: the design is boring and uninspired, bordering on almost sarcastically comical for a $2k IEM. But it's the sound that matters, and this is where the Diamond surprised me. It's a very well-balanced U-shaped with a great cohesiveness I've come to expect from single DDs. The bass is elevated, tight, punchy, and well-textured with plenty of sub- and mid-bass to go around. Mids are forward but never shouty or overbearing. There's also nice depth and separation, and the instrumental timbre in particular is fantastic. The treble may be where it starts to lose some people, though I'm not one of them. The detail, clarity, and sparkle are there but just in far less quantity than true trebleheads would be satisfied with. The Diamond might just be my surprise of the show due to how closely it adheres to my personal tuning preference—bassy, forward mids, and tame treble. Well done by TXN, but we gotta get some more inspired designs in the future.
● Faith Audio Labs E1000 ($3799) - This one won't be new to a lot of you, as the E1000 already has many impressions and reviews making the rounds of various threads on Head-fi. The E1000 more or less fits into this category with its 10.2mm dynamic driver, but for transparency's sake, it also incorporates a passive radiator, so it's not just a single DD inside the shell. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the aesthetics and didn't really feel the drive to try it out, but I'm glad I did. It might have the best detail retrieval and timbre I heard all weekend. Don't get me wrong, the more treble-focused tuning is definitely not my bag, but it's really impressive to hear what they accomplished with such a simple driver configuration. The bass is the weakest part for me. As a self-described semi-bass head, there's just not enough quantity for me, though the quality is quite nice. It can dig pretty low when the track calls for it and the texture is clean and pleasant, but there's just not enough weight or lasting reverberation for me. I will say it's a great complement to the treble, but I would personally like to see the focus shifted in the other direction. The mids are positioned really well. There's a sense of space, separation, and naturalness that makes listening to vocal-focused music an absolute joy. The treble being the highlight of the tuning turns me off a little, but it's actually done really well. Tons of airiness, detail, and just the right amount of sparkle. Never crosses into harsh or sibilant territory. Honestly, the E1000 really surprised me, and if the overall tuning focus was shifted a bit away from the treble and onto the bass, this one would rank very, very high on my list. The stock cable, though, needs some work. It's pretty unwieldy and stiff.
🟢 Budget Bangers (<$150)
● Kiwi Ears Stardust ($77) - As a major player in the budget/lower mid-fi tier, Kiwi Ears needs little introduction. I mean, come on, surely we've all heard one of their models at some point. This latest release features a 1DD, 4BA hybrid configuration, and a very competitive price tag. Typical Kiwi Ears resin build and colorful design. Small, compact, and lightweight. Nice U-shaped tuning with plenty of bass, forward mids, and rolled-off treble. The low-end might be my favorite part. It's a little bloomy, and the texture could use some refining, but it just has a fun rumble and weight that resonates with my library. The mids are just OK for me. The timbre is off, and I feel like the upper mids accentuation is taken a bit too far, but I wouldn't necessarily call them shouty. At least the note weight isn't thin, which would make it worse. The treble is where it starts to lose me. The texture is pretty messy, and snares and cymbals can be sharp and splashy. I wouldn't say it's bright, though, and the price means I can't complain too much. Technical prowess is about what you'd expect in this tier, meaning almost everything is serviceable but not great. Honestly, after hearing the Stardust firsthand, I'm not sure it has the staying power to make it in today's increasingly crowded market.
● CrinEar Nightfall ($99) - Crinacle isn't a reviewer I personally follow or put too much stock in. That's not a knock on his years of experience in the hobby, but our tastes just don't seem to align much of the time. I've tried both the Meta and Daybreak, though neither had any lasting appeal for me, but I'm always open to trying new things. This latest CrinEar creation utilizes a similar 10mm + 8mm dual DD setup and robust metal shells to the already sold-out Monolith, but it's much lighter in weight. Interestingly enough, I actually prefer the heavier Monolith for comfort. But unlike the Monolith, the Nightfall is not a limited release, so its availability won't be limited to the used market. Also, whereas the Monolith is a bastion of bass, the Nightfall delivers a much more balanced tuning. Sure, the bass is still present, but it has less impact and reverberation. The midrange is still positioned back a bit in the mix, but it no longer feels like an afterthought. Everything is pretty pleasant, and nothing sticks out or takes attention from any other part of the frequency response. Overall, the Nightfall is a pretty nice little U-shaped tuning that I think will sell well for the price. Maybe it's the de facto replacement for or evolution of another Crin creation, the Truthear Zero Red.
🟡 Midfi Mania ($150 - $999):
● Moondrop x Crinacle Silicon ($249) - It's really interesting to see Crin still working on collabs when he has his own company now. I think this is officially his third with Moondrop, following the B2:D and Dusk. The Silicon utilizes a tribrid configuration of 1DD, 2BA, and 2MEMS. The shell is made of a nice clear resin and metal faceplate with what looks to be vent holes, but I think they're for aesthetics only. It also has some really cool tube technology that can be visualized through the shell. The size is a little larger than average, but it's quite lightweight and comfortable. The cable reminds me of the Truthear Nova cable. It's fabric-wrapped and a little tangly, but not nearly as microphonic. The tuning is nicely U-shaped with a natural tonality. Nothing really comes across as particularly forward or energetic, besides maybe the treble by a very small margin. It's mostly snares that are slightly overemphasized, but they're not harsh or wince-inducing. The bass is present but not overwhelming and adds some nice weight and a grounding effect to the entire frequency response. The impact is decent, and there's a good balance of mid and sub-bass, but it does sound a little ill-defined and soft. It could also use more extension, and there's a little bleed into the lower mids. Vocals are nicely balanced, present but not too forward, but they do sound slightly veiled or fuzzy to my ear. The soundstage presents a bit deeper than it is wide, and it's not particularly expansive. It has more of an intimate presentation, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The imaging is good, and the timbre sounds pretty natural, if not just a touch on the analytical side. Detail retrieval, separation, and dynamics are also commendable, but nothing stands out for the price. Overall, this one may appeal to those looking for a fairly bassy U-shaped response who want to avoid a warmer tonality.
● DUNU PRS6 ($249) - DUNU is always a brand that I like to watch. After all, they are responsible for one of my all-time favorites, the DaVinci (some of that credit goes to Timmy, of course). Last year, I got a taste of the one-two punch that is the 142 and 242, and this year DUNU is at it again with another series of products, the "Pro Response Sound" or PRS. The PRS6 features a six-driver tribrid design consisting of 1DD, 4BA, and 1 MEMS driver. This is also the company's first dedicated gaming-focused IEM, which to me means it should have great imaging, precision, soundstage, and a well-balanced tuning. So is that the case? Well, I can speak to a few of those points, but I didn't exactly bring my gaming rig along to test out their claims. I will say that the tuning balance is solid. To me, it sounds fairly U- or slightly W-shaped with some bass emphasis, a slight upper midrange accentuation, and a decently extended treble without any problematic peaks. The imaging is accurate left to right, but not the best with distance detection, and the soundstage is deep and wide enough to please most. The tonality, though, is a little cold, and I wouldn't mind some more note weight to help it feel a bit more grounded. I could actually see myself enjoying these with certain genres of music, like folk, classical, and singer-songwriter. But if you're a competitive gamer looking for an edge, you could do a lot worse than the PRS6.
● DUNU PRS5 ($159) - Kevin also recommended I try this one to compare to the PRS6. It had a tribrid configuration of 1DD, 3BA, and 1 microplanar. I only listened for a short while, but right away I could tell it has even better imaging, spatiality, and soundstage than the PRS6. Unfortunately, it comes across as disjointed and overly separated. It's as if all of the pieces are there, but the broader picture is missing. While not entirely unpleasant for most genres of music, it's still a unique and somewhat strange experience. The treble is also a little intense, especially snares and cymbals. For gaming, I could absolutely understand why it works, but it's not something I would gravitate to for general listening purposes. Also, I personally hate the faceplate design.
● Ice Labs Lumira ($399) - Ice Labs made a name for itself with the Prismatica and Spectrumica, but now they are looking to break into the lower mid-fi tier with their most accessible release to date, the Lumira. This one features a fairly simple 1DD, 2 microplanar hybrid configuration, but the kicker is the stock cable is made by Flash Acoustics. Another really interesting feature is that it has interchangeable faceplates with three colors available at launch and more designs set to be released periodically in the future. The shell itself is all metal and maybe average in size or just below. At first listen, the thing that stuck out to me immediately was the imaging and staging. It's quite spread out for this price range, though it feels a little disjointed like the pieces of music were coming from different areas and not one cohesive picture. Still, it's impressive to hear this from a $399 set. I'd say the tuning is slightly V-shaped with more emphasis on the upper mids and treble. The bass is more sub-bass focused and pretty polite compared to my usual preference with a tamer impact and rumble. The decay, though, is not too quick which helps give it a little more presence. The midrange and treble are where the Lumira dedicate their attention. Mids are forward but not shouty or irritating. Actually, I'd argue that with a boost in the bass, the mids would get a little too pushed back and recessed. The treble is definitely the focus of the tuning, but it's not fatiguing, over-energetic, or sibilant. There's a definitive brightness and vigor that makes it stand out, and while I would never consider myself to be a treblehead, the Lumira does the top end the right way for me if I were into this kind of tuning. Initially, I didn't really "get" this one, but by the end of my short demo, I found it quite enjoyable, especially for something outside of my normal comfort zone.
● Thieaudio x Elise Audio Vera ($619) - This one features a 5-driver tribrid configuration with 1DD, 2BA, and 2EST. The shell is made of a lightweight aluminum alloy, and I really like the understated faceplate design. It also has a very interesting price point. I can't really think of many IEMs that hover right around the $600 range. The tuning is a very pleasant mild U-shape. The bass is more sub-bass oriented and has decent impact and extension, though the decay and reverberation are a little quicker than I'd like. It has a clean and smooth transition into the lower midrange, so there's no bleed to worry about. The entire midrange is on the flatter side, but there's just enough upper-mids emphasis to help bring vocals forward, more so with female artists. The treble is also on the flatter side with no real peaks or dips to speak of, but it retains a nice level of energy. It's not particularly airy, but it does have a fair level of sparkle and clarity. I think where it struggles a bit is in the texture, as it has a little bit of unnaturalness and sharpness on snares. The soundstage is quite nice with both decent width and depth. The imaging and dynamics are also strong, but the timbre and separation aren't as noteworthy. Overall, this one is a nice collaborative effort from Thieaudio and Elise and definitely one to think about if you listen to a lot of folk or pop, particularly female-focused.
● Quill Acoustics Karma ($899) - Our resident Head-fi/YouTube buddy Jonathan (EnigmaFotos) already did a great video review of this one, so please do check it out if you want a more in-depth assessment. I'll go ahead and add my two cents for what it's worth. The Karma is Quill's follow-up release to their flagship, Satin. It features a 6-driver quadbrid driver configuration with 1DD, 3BA, 1 planar, and 1BCD. The faceplate design may be a bit divisive. Personally, it's not my cup of tea, and I think it looks and feels a little cheaper in person than pictures I've seen. Also, the stock cable is serviceable, but nothing to gush about. I can't argue with the sound, though, because The Karma's tuning is right up my alley. The bass hits hard and fast, the decay and texture are just right, and the mid-bass warmth is nice and pleasant. I wouldn't mind a deeper sub-bass extension, but it's still pretty good as is. The midrange is smooth and enjoyable with natural vocals that come through clearly despite the bass emphasis. There is some bass bleed in the lower midrange, though, and the separation is probably not on par with some other 900? I think so. At least if your library has a lot of pop, EDM, and other bass/vocal-centered music. It could be a good one and done for bass lovers not looking to spend a ton, but if you need clear delineation between bass and mids, or a well-extended treble, you might look elsewhere.
● Astral Acoustics x Alpha Omega Project TTG ($999) - As a huge fan of the Alpha Omega Omega (couldn't they have picked a better name?), I was excited to try this. The TTG has not been finalized yet and is still considered a prototype, but the driver configuration consists of 1DD, 3BA, and 2 microplanars. The titanium shell looks quite nice, and I hope they keep the design, maybe adding just a touch of color. As for the sound, the TTG has been referred to by some as an "Omega Lite." This was literally the last thing I demoed of the entire show right before I left, and I didn't get a ton of time with it, so take these impressions with a grain of salt. Based on my aural memory, I think the claims of being an "Omega Lite" are actually pretty spot on. It has a very well-balanced U-shaped tuning with deep sub-bass extension, smooth and enjoyable mids, and a slightly tamer but still present treble. It could definitely be a contender for a "one and done" all-rounder under $1k; however, the mids may not be quite forward enough for some, maybe myself included. I'd have to spend more time tip and source rolling to really unlock its potential, but it's definitely a promising one to watch.
● Effect Audio Perseus ($999) - As far as I know, this is EA's first non-collaborative IEM. Being fully developed in-house puts a lot of pressure on the Perseus to deliver the goods. It features a 9-driver quadbrid configuration consisting of 2DD, 2BA, 4 microplanar, and 1BCD. From a design standpoint, I think the shell will be hit or miss for many. Personally, it doesn't really appeal to me, but it's far from the worst I've ever seen, and it does look nicer in person than in the pictures I've seen. The aluminum alloy shell is a bit chunky but feels sturdy and lightweight. And obviously, a new EA IEM deserves its own unique cable; in this case, it's the Ordinis. It has a nice tight weave and a smooth feel, but it does hold a bit of memory. As for the sound, the Perseus has an energetic and upbeat U/V-shaped tuning with nice bass emphasis, accentuated upper mids/lower treble, and somewhat rolled-off upper treble. In the low-end, there's nice mid-bass thump and impact, and the sub-bass rumble and weight are decent. The lower mids feel pretty sucked out for me, and the emphasis on the upper midrange only makes this more apparent, but at least there's no bass bleed. Treble is present and sparkly, but I do have some issues with the lower portion. It comes off brighter than I like and a little splashy. The soundstage leans more intimate, especially in the mids, which come across a little boxy and closed off. Personally, I'm not too impressed with EA's first in-house IEM, but I think there's some good potential here. I'd like to see their take on a warmer and smoother midrange and treble while keeping the current bass emphasis intact.
🔴 Kilobuck and Beyond:
● AME Gnome ($3800) - This is AME's first titanium shell IEM and also their first release in their new "Four Elements" series. The Gnome has a 6BA, 4EST, and 2BCD driver configuration and is an absolute unit but surprisingly comfortable. The design really leans into the rock/earth aesthetic, but it's also much lighter in weight than the Mousa. The stock cable is soft and pliable with a really nice tight weave. Tuning-wise, it sounds kind of W-shaped to me with a nice bass shelf, decent emphasis on the upper midrange, and a sparkly treble with a few peaks and valleys throughout. Even though the low-end is elevated, it's mostly in the sub-bass which frees up the lower mids from any bleed. The impact is about average, texture and attack are clean and controlled, and the decay is on the quicker side. The midrange is smooth and natural with male artists taking a bit of a backseat in the mix, though they actually sound better balanced for me. Female vocals can be a bit too forward on some tracks but not necessarily shouty or harsh. The treble is what sets the Gnome apart from others I heard at the show. It's detailed, airy, sparkly, and controlled, but the extension is a bit underserved and there's an edge or raspiness to certain vocal notes. Overall, the Gnome actually reminds me a lot of the Mousa. If you take away the huge mid-bass boost and warm blanket tonality that colors its tuning, that's kind of what the Gnome gives you. It retains an awesome sense of spatiality while coming across highly detailed, precise, and more natural in its tonal balance than the Mousa. For me, it's more genre-specific than its older sibling, but a musical highlight is definitely orchestral music. From the placement of instruments on the stage, to the pinpoint accurate imaging and spot-on timbre, the Gnome is a huge boon for fans of classical and instrumental focused genres.
● Letshuoer Sonata ($2300) - This latest from Letshuoer is basically a production version of the EJ10, which, as I understand it, was a small-batch, one-off release made for a small group of audio enthusiasts. It utilizes a 10-driver tribrid configuration with 2DD, 4BA, and 4ESTs. The EJ10 featured a resin shell, while the Sonata opts for a very nice titanium shell that looks like something out of the FlipEars school of design. This was another model that was high up on my demo list, but I just learned in the week leading up to CanJam that I'd be receiving a review sample soon, so I didn't spend much time with the show floor unit. What I will say is that this one has a very genre-friendly tuning that pairs well with everything I threw at it, from hard rock and metal to pop and folk. Even classical and instrumental music sounded great. The bass is strong and prominent, but only when the track calls for it. At first listen, it actually reminded me a bit of the Ember, but the mids are much more prominent and much less warm, which helps it better serve as an all-rounder. Keep an eye out for my eventual full review of the Sonata. It's definitely one I'm looking forward to spending more time with in order to unlock its fullest potential.
● Letshuoer Unnamed Prototype (speculated around $2500) - While I was at the Letshuoer table, the rep drew my attention to a new prototype they were working on. There's very little information available, including the driver configuration and final price. The shell is CNCed metal with a very interesting and intricate faceplate design based on the Pixiu of Chinese mythology. Tuning-wise, it's more V-shaped and energetic compared to the Sonata, with a deeper-reaching and harder-hitting bass and brighter and airier treble. It's a fun set that I enjoyed quite a bit, so I'm interested to see what the final product looks like.
● Valoria Acoustic Teanna ($3999) - Now, those who know me or have read my reviews might be familiar with my tendency to gravitate towards warm and musically inclined tunings. The Teanna was featured in the CamJam preview video, and the way Jude and Brian described the tuning is not my typical target, so my expectations going in were very low. Pretty much if Brian loves it, I likely won't 😅. But before we get into the sound, let's talk a bit more. The Teanna is an 11-driver quadbrid featuring 1DD, 4BA, 4EST, and 2BCD. The shells are quite large, and the big nozzle will immediately alienate the small ear crowd. The quality of the resin itself is lower than I expect at this price point, but this is a brand new company's first release, so a little leeway is allowed. The faceplate design didn't really speak to me either, but I'm sure there will be fans. It's also one of the hardest IEMs to drive that I tried all weekend. Tuning-wise, these are definitely geared toward midrange and treble aficionados. The bass is still there, and it's more sub-bass focused, but it takes a back seat, allowing the rest of the frequency response to flourish. The midrange is sure to appeal to vocal and orchestral music lovers, and I'd say the timbre is something the Teanna does extraordinarily well. The treble is actually less intense than I had anticipated, and there was nary a sharp or wince-inducing note throughout my entire short demo. It's also very airy and well-extended, though, with great texture. The staging, imaging, detail, and timbre are all strong points, and I could definitely see myself enjoying this one with classical and orchestral arrangements, but as for the rest of my library, it's simply not tuned for my preferences. Still, I think the Teanna is a really strong release from newcomer Valoria Acoustic, and it has me excited to see what's next.
● DUNU Noctua ($?) - Unfortunately, I forgot to ask Kevin about the price before I left the booth, but someone may be able to chime in with that information. The Noctua is DUNU's new flagship offering, replacing the aging Glacier. It features an 18-driver quadbrid design with 2DD, 8BA, 6EST, and 2BCD. The titanium alloy shell is quite large but not too heavy. The shape is nicely contoured, and it fits me really well. The faceplate design may not be finalized, but I like it a lot more than the previous orange/red prototypes I've seen. The brown cable is definitely a choice, but I like the tight fabric sheathing, and it's not too stiff. Tuning-wise, I'd say it's pretty midrange-focused with ample bass and a polite, rolled-off treble that still has good presence. It's a little more sub-bass focused, and there are no issues with bleed. The impact is a little more subtle and slightly soft, but I like it. It feels more natural with an average decay and really nice low-reaching rumble. The midrange is the star of the show, and vocals absolutely take the spotlight. They're not shouty but definitely emphasized, perhaps a little too much for some. It's not a particularly balanced midrange, but there are some special qualities here that make up for it. The sense of width and depth is great, and there's a really nice emotional weight. The treble is right in my wheelhouse—rolled off and tame but still complimentary enough to the rest of the tuning. Detail and texture do suffer a bit, but there's zero harshness or sibilance, and that's a trade I'll take any day. Overall, I think the Noctua is tuned to be more of a specialist set for vocal enthusiasts. I do like it quite a bit but also feel like taking the upper mids down just a few decibels would help it appeal to a much larger audience.
● 64 Audio Ocean ($3999) - This is the company's newest flagship, and you might have seen it featured in the CanJam preview video. Jude seemed pretty high on it, so I decided to add it to the list. With a total of 32 unique tuning configurations, thanks to the 4 apex modules, 4 rear vent filters, and 2 nozzle screens, this one is a tinkerer's dream. The Ocean was built to succeed the legendary Tia Fourte, and it comes with really nice, lightweight titanium shells in a champagne copper finish. The faceplate is inspired by windswept aeolian beach ripples, and it looks better in person than in photos. The fit was a little wonky for me due to the shallower insertion depth, so I had to use my Azla Mythril tips to get a decent seal. As for the sound, I only heard the default reference setting, and it's about what I expected. I'd say it's a well-balanced, near U-shaped tuning with nice treble extension. The bass impact is good but not particularly hard-hitting, and the sub-bass extension could be better. The midrange is smooth and natural, but the energetic vocals can get a bit thin and harsh at higher volumes, though it's pretty track-dependent. Still a little too energetic in the upper mids/lower treble for most of my library, though orchestral arrangements sounded great. I think the Ocean's big appeal is the customization, and I'm a little curious to see how dialed in I could get it to my HRTF with all the different tuning options. But 32 different configurations feels kind of daunting, and I'd probably rather spend that $4k on something I don't need to tweak.
● NiceHCK x Mysticraft Dragonforged (price not finalized but rumored around $4500) - Here's yet another collaboration that initially came as a shock, but it actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Everyone knows Lee's tuning prowess, but it's no secret that Mysticraft struggles when it comes to fulfilling orders for the Hex in a timely manner. NiceHCK has never attempted anything this ambitious and costly, but theoretically, they should have the manufacturing infrastructure to pull it off on a bigger scale than some of the competition. The Dragonforge is a hybrid featuring 13BA and 2ESTs. As the name suggests, the faceplate and design revolve around a dragonscale pattern Damascus faceplate and a full metal shell. It's quite large and heavy, but despite being built like little tanks, the shells are surprisingly comfortable for me. Regarding the tuning, it definitely has some of that trademark Lee sound. Unfortunately for me, I think the inspiration leans more toward the Annihilator and less like the Hex. The sub-bass reaches low and has plenty of lasting rumble and reverberation; the decay is about average in speed, and the texture is clean, tight, and controlled. The midrange leans slightly cold and thin for my tastes. Vocals have a little bit of an edge and a higher energy level that forces you to sit up and listen. Still, there's a certain naturalness here that will speak to a lot of listeners. The treble is where I hear the biggest Lee inspiration, which isn't a surprise to anyone familiar with his previous work. Thankfully, it's not as spicy as Anni23, but there's a distinct sparkle, airiness, and clarity any Lee fan will be sure to recognize. The Dragonforge is also very technically impressive, especially in detail retrieval, imaging, and soundstage, but the timbre is not as natural as I would expect. Overall, I'd say the build quality and design are fantastic, and the slightly V-shaped tuning is definitely enjoyable. For me, it's fun for a few sessions every now and then, but not the one I'd settle down with.
● Campfire Audio Chimera ($7499) - *Picture courtesy of MusicTeck. This one needs little introduction if you've been following its initial tease and eventual release over in the Watercooler thread. Originally code-named Chivo, the flagship Chimera has emerged as Campfire's most expensive and ambitious IEM to date. It utilizes a 9-driver quadbrid configuration consisting of 1 glass diaphragm DD, 3 BAs, 4 ESTs, and 1 bone-conducting driver (which I believe is a first for CFA). My first impression was that it's not as bassy as I anticipated. The slam is good and rumble is plentiful, if not a little short-lived, but the sub-bass extension needs work. It has one of the most unique lower-midrange presentations I've heard, which I'm guessing is the work of the BCD. I was getting a lot of accentuation and attention placed on notes and instruments that don't typically stick out for me, which is kind of jarring and unnatural. The upper midrange is generally good, though it personally lacks some warmth for me. The treble is energetic and sharp, but not necessarily fatiguing or harsh. Still, it's kind of distracting all the same. The air is good, though, but the treble texture is a little on the brittle side. I think I can safely say the Chimera isn't for me, and I can definitely see why it's turning out to be somewhat of a divisive set. The Clara still remains at the top of the Campfire lineup for me and my preferences.
🟣 Saucy Sources:
● Schiit Audio Vestri ($99) - It never fails that I forget to take pictures of at least one thing throughout the weekend. This year, the Vestri and Chimera fell by the wayside, so please enjoy this stock photo from Schiit's website. The Vestri is the world's first and only portable DAC/amp featuring Schiit's proprietary Mesh digital filter architecture. This can also be toggled on/off for those who want to see what it's doing. The form factor is small and thin with nicely rounded edges. It has a solid build quality, but the touch buttons took a little getting used to. As for the sound, the Vestri has a definitively smooth signature without going overboard. The bass is full and lush, the mids are slightly accentuated but also gain a bit of depth, and the treble feels like it loses some air and extension, but that's not necessarily a bad thing if paired with the right IEMs. It also tends to clean up some of the sheen in the upper-mids/lower treble. Overall, it's an enjoyable little DAC/amp that focuses on immersion and musicality, and this Schiit is only $100.
● iBasso Tonfa ($359) - As someone without a lot of experience with R2R sources, I was really excited to try this newest one from iBasso. The Tonfa is a 24-Bit fully balanced R2R DAC/amp, and it's quite similar in shape, size, and design to the DC Elite and Nunchaku. Like all of their products, it feels sturdy and has a premium build quality. It's nice and compact but definitely has some weight in hand. Unfortunately, one side has some pretty sharp corners while the other side is smooth and rounded. A bit of a design oversight, perhaps? The Tonfa offers an impressive 800mW @ 32 Ohms through the balanced output, and thankfully, iBasso incorporated a small OLED screen this time around to display the volume and other various settings. Moving on to the sound, like I said, I don't have a ton of experience with R2R, but I did recently own the Cayin RU6. Right from the first listen, the Tonfa has a distinct analog quality that's hard to miss. The bass is less dynamic and softer, the mids especially feel smoothed over, and the treble extension feels slightly closed off. Compared to the tube mode of the MuseHiFi M6 Double, the Tonfa comes across smoother, less energetic, and a little too reserved across the frequency response. The M6 has more note weight, especially in the bass, and the dynamics and separation are better for my taste. So when it comes to R2R versus tubes, I think I can safely say that I'm firmly in the latter camp, though I'd still like to explore others in the future, including the popular Quloos MUB5.
🟠 Awards:
As I've done for the last couple of CanJam reports, I like to highlight a few things that stuck out for me. This year I expanded the categories a little bit to add more variety.
🏆Best of Show: The gear/moments that made my weekend great
🥇Winner - This one is easy. For me, it's the personal connections. Of course, getting a chance to hear all the expensive things in one place is a dream come true, but getting to nerd out and connect with other like-minded people over something as simple as talking audio is really what makes CanJam special. I've said it before and I'll say it again—the gear is great, but this hobby would be nothing without the community behind it all. ❤️
🥈Honorable mention - Taking Sean Olive's listening test and getting some results that somewhat verify that my ears are fairly consistent in the way I hear things. See? Now I have proof that I'm not crazy because I've been tested 😆.
Also, helping out at the Effect Audio booth was such a trip. It's an entirely different feeling sitting on the other side of the table and being the one trying to answer the questions instead of the one asking them. I do apologize if I steered any of the showgoers wrong, but hey, at least nothing went missing on my watch, and that's a win, right? 🤷
🏆Best Value: The most bang for buck
🥇Winner - Thieaudio x Elise Audio Vera - From the build quality and fit to the tuning balance and subtle design, I think the Vera is well-positioned to break into the "no man's land" that is the $600 price tier. It'll at least be interesting to see how it all plays out.
🥈Honorable Mentions - This one's a tie between the Schiit Vestri and the Ziigaat Thunder. Both are really competitively priced. The Vestri is now an easy recommendation to anyone looking for a smooth and versatile budget DAC, and I think the Thunder will surprise more than a few people.
🏆Biggest Surprise: The most unexpected product or moment of the show
🥇Winner - I'm going to say it's the Forte Ears Violetta for two reasons. First, I haven't really connected with any other FE release, and I enjoyed the Violetta's tuning much more than I expected. Secondly, that short, tiny nozzle is bonkers!
🥈Honorable Mentions - I actually have a few, including Jonathan getting pretty unlucky and eating the one Carolina Reaper chicken strip from a box of roulette chicken from Dave's Hot Chicken 🌶 🐔☠️. My hotel room at the Marriott also had its own surprises. 1.) My roommate snores really loud 🤣. 2.) I don't know if I've ever seen a drop ceiling in a shower 🤨. Interesting choice, Marriott.
Gear-wise, I was quite surprised that I didn't really care much for the iBasso Tonfa. In an AB comparison, I really preferred the sound of tubes, so I guess I'll let go of this urge to buy an R2R DAC, at least without much more exposure.
🏆Best Design: The most eye-catching aesthetics
🥇Winner - Hands down it's got to be the Dragonforge. Pictures don't really do it justice but in person it looks and feels like a work of art.
🥈Honorable Mentions - The Violetta is quite lovely and the Gnome is so cool and different than anything else which really helps to set it apart. I also really liked the more subtle faceplate and shell combination of the Vera.
🏆Best Hospitality: The friendliest booth of the show
🥇 Winner (tie) - MusicTeck
This one is difficult because all the exhibitors are very friendly and welcoming, but I'd have to say the MusicTeck table is always a standout for me. Not only due to the sheer volume of IEMs they bring, but also because of how patient, helpful, and knowledgeable Leo, Andrew, and the other staff members are. Even with a full table and attendees waiting in the wings, I never feel rushed or that my time is less important than anyone else's. Of course, I try not to hog the space too long and share it. It's always my first stop when I walk into the room, and the place I spend the most time over the course of the show. For the third CanJam in a row, the MT table takes the cake.
🥇Winner (tie) - Bloom Audio
The Bloom Room is another fan favorite, and for good reason. Andrew DiMarcangilo and the gang are always happy to help CanJammers navigate the wide array of products they have for demo. The staff is also very knowledgeable, which makes it that much easier for newcomers or those who don't have their finger on the pulse of the audiophile scene to dive right into the gear (a special shoutout to Marty for helping me track down all the gear I wanted to try). Also, I'm a sucker for freebies, and the Bloom raffles are always a highlight of the weekend. This year the prizes included some really great gear! Bloom sure knows how to share the love, and for that, we should all consider ourselves blessed by the audio gods.
My other highlights of the weekend include hanging out with Omar (AudioAmigo) and Jason (musingclouds), just shooting the breeze about life, cars, and all things audio. I also managed to catch the tail end of the after-party in the hotel lobby, and a special shoutout to Echo4 and timeslip for generously supplying a plethora of whiskeys and liquors. Also, drinking Chinese baijiu with Ben of Hercules, Chang from Nightjar, and the legendary Lee himself at 1 AM was not on my CanJam bingo card, but it's definitely a memory I won't soon forget. It was great finally meeting some of my Head-fi/Discord friends in person for the first time and, of course, seeing familiar faces including zkmd, EnigmaFotos, FreeWheelinAudioLuv2, BlindRanger, Aetherhole, DenverW, tjzurlaaa, aafevo, Warrenpchi, bigbeans, emdeevee, Cinder, Mr Bubba Hyde, James Demer, TylersEclectic, Kevin from Dunu, Sherry from Faith Audio Labs and any others I may have missed. I even got to cap off my audio dedicated weekend by attending a My Chemical Romance concert on Sunday night with my wife!
If my third CanJam has shown me anything, it's this: the Head-fi community and, by association, the audiophile hobby at large is full of kind, compassionate, friendly, generous, and selfless folks. This hobby would be nothing without the people who drive it forward with their passion, commitment, and hospitality. To wrap up another year's report, I'll leave you all with this challenge: show kindness where you can, generosity when you're able, and empathy at all times. We are all just microscopic dots on this blue jewel floating through the cosmos, so do what you can to make someone else's journey more enjoyable. The world will be a better place for it.
And here's a photo dump to complete my probably way too long post. Until next year, SoCal!













































Comments
Post a Comment